Support – Synology – Network Attached Storage (NAS) DSM 5.0-4493 Update 5.
Synology has released another DSM 5 update. Only two fixes listed but one of them is a security fix:
Fixed a vulnerability that could allow servers to accept unauthorized access.
I updated my DS212J and DS1511+ without incident. While I do use encrypted folders I haven’t had a problem so I can’t verify that it fixed anything.
I’ll update my DS212+ at the end of the day and post an update if I have any issues. The update of my DS212+ also went fine.
Synology has just released Update 4 for DSM 5. The updates fixes OpenSSL and Kerberos security issues among other things. The last Synology security exploit to hit the news was based on old vulnerabilities. So while it’s a pain you should plan to patch as soon as it’s practical. I updated my DS212J, DS212+ and DS1511+ without a problem. And so far, no new errors have surfaced.
Two Countries, Two Vastly Different Phone Bills – NYTimes.com.
Depressing news for those of us in the US. A simple solution (competition) that will never happen here.
Google dominates top 10 apps, says ComScore.
This is another “duh” survey. Android dominates in pure market share for smartphones (over 85%). The real story here is that Facebook is number 1. Maybe not a shocker, but people do have to install it and set it up.
Other non-Google apps are Instagram (owned by Facebook). Apple Maps and Yahoo News. Apple Maps surprised me being tied for #10. With all the bad press and the fact that Apple only has about 22% of the market this was unexpected.
Apple released OS X 10.9.3 today.
- Improves 4K display support on Mac Pro (Late 2013) and MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina Display (Late 2013)
- Adds the ability to sync contacts and calendars between a Mac and iOS device using a USB connection
- Improves the reliability of VPN connections using IPsec
- Resolves an issue that prevented Font Book from installing PostScript Type 1 fonts
- Improves reliability of copying, editing and inspecting permissions of files on an SMB file server
- Improves reliability of network home directories
- Improves stability when installing configuration profiles
- Improves login speed for users in Active Directory groups
- Includes Safari 7.0.3
No info on the security content yet.
I updated my Mac Mini without any immediate issues. I’m waiting a day or two before updating my MacBook.