My Synology DS212+ NAS went wonky today. Wonky seems like an appropriate technical term. It had stopped indexing some photos I uploaded so I took the usual troubleshooting step and rebooted. Then things went down hill from there.
After the reboot, and logging on with the admin ID, I would keep getting the initial Welcome Wizard although it wouldn’t let me actually do anything and run through the wizard. Despite this, I could access the file shares.
After the usual browser troubleshooting steps I hadn’t made any progress. I found that I could access the server from my iPhone if I used DSM Mobile. But as soon as I would try the full DSM I’d get the wizard.
DSM Mobile gave me enough access so that I could give my regular ID system administrator privileges. Once I did that I could logon to the full website with my regular ID but with greater access to check things out. That’s when I noticed that the DSM Upgrade gave me a out of disk message. A full system volume sure would explain a lot although there’s not much I could do from the GUI.
First I enabled SSH:
Then I used terminal to SSH into the Synology NAS as root. The root password is the same password given to the Admin ID.
>ssh firstname.lastname@example.org (IP address of Synology NAS)
One connected I ran the following commands:
>mkdir /tmp/work/ >mount /dev/md0 /tmp/work/ >cd /tmp/work/
Then I worked my way down to find out which directory is using too much and then the large files:
>du -hs *
This will list all the directories and their sizes. I change into the largest directory (mine was nearly 2GB and was var). I switched into the directory and executed ds -hs * again. Eventually I found I had two 800+ MB files in /var/log/httpd. Both were archived logs so I deleted them as follows:
I still had a much smaller sys-cgi_log file so it seemed safe to delete those two.
I rebooted after deleting the files.
I still had to run through the welcome wizard when I logged on with admin. I simply picked the option to “skip” any configuration and was brought to the DSM desktop. My user specific desktop settings were gone but all files and services are there.
The monitoring app and widget can’t connect to the service so won’t run. This is a minor annoyance. A search of the forums shows a re-install as a solution. If this is the only problem I have, I’ll wait to see if the next patch fixes the problem.
What caused the log to grow so large still needs some research. But for now I’ll monitor their size.