Synology released an update to DSM 4.2 back on April 18th which I got around to installing this weekend. Overall it is a pretty minor update but only took about 10 minutes oer NAS to install From the release notes:
- Fixed an issue where users could not connect to the DiskStation via FTP over SSL.
- Fixed an issue which kept the DiskStation from connecting to SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) UPS devices.
- Fixed an issue where domain users could not obtain an emergency code for 2-step verification.
- Improved the compatibility of file sharing via SMB/CIFS with Mac computers.
- Improved the stability of generating Disk Usage Reports.
- Improved the stability of iSCSI LUN.
- Improved the compatibility when backing up data between different versions of DSM.
- Improved stability when syncing files between two DiskStations with Shared Folder Sync.
- Improved the stability when backing up data to another DiskStation with Time Backup.
- Other issue fixes and enhancements.
Items 4, 6 and 8 could potentially help me in these areas although I never really had any problems so far. I had some Mac sharing problems but they want away and I figured it was a network or transient issue. I do sometimes get errors with shared folder sync but when I’ve bothered to track them down they all be files changed or deleted during the sync, The next sync has always worked just fine.
Audio Station, Cloud Station , Photo Station and Video Station packages also received minor updates. My CloudStation clients were automatically updated once the package on the Synology NAS was upgraded, which was nice.