There have been a lot of updates this past week. Much to my relief most of these updates went smoothly. The main problem were with the updates to this site but I half expected it so allowed extra time to get them done and I did plenty of backups before starting.
WHS 2011 Update Rollup 4 & More
I was happy to see WHS 2011 is alive and well within Microsoft, even if it has been marked for death. Tuesday’s patch bundle included Windows Home Server 2011 Update Rollup 4 with 10 documented fixes. I’m pretty aggressive in keeping my WHS box up to date so it was updated back in November, but it still had 8 patches waiting in addition to the rollup.
I generally take Microsoft’s default selections when I chose which patches to install then do the unselected ones after, if they are still needed. In this case I also unchecked UR4 and started the update.
A couple updates failed and I selected them and the other remaining updates after the reboot, only excluding UR4. It was fine this time and UR4 was successfully installed after that reboot. The connector updates were then pushed out to the clients automatically. This required a reboot, but that was done when the client patches were installed.
No problems so far.
Windows 7 & Windows 8 PCs
Lots of updates all around and they all needed reboots. Windows RT got its share of patches, including a firmware update. I haven’t noticed any difference but some report better performance.
Windows 8 threw in another patch on Thursday which also required a reboot. These are annoying since I run a lot of apps and unlike my Macs they don’t restore running apps automatically. So while the actual reboot is fast, it’s a frustrating 15 minutes of preparation and recovery.
Mac OS X
My new Mac Mini had a BIOS update related to HDMI monitor connections. I haven’t had an issue. My monitor goes through an adapter to the Mac’s HDMI port. I’ll be moving my old Windows monitor to the Mini and then it will be HDMI direct. So probably a good update to have.
The iTunes 11 update wasn’t problem free. But the new bugs were minor compared to the nightmare that is iTunes anyway. More on this in a future post.
Debian 6 and WordPress (My Web Server)
This was the big one for me. Just about every major software component of this server was slated for an update. Apache, MySQL, PHP and WordPress all had updates waiting. I held off on the Apache, MySQL and PHP updates until WordPress 3.5 was released. I’d do it in two phases – everything except WordPress, then WordPress. Of course, before starting I did a full server snapshot backup and a file system backup of my web server.
The OS updates and Apache, MySQL and PHP updates all went fine. Everything tested out OK after the update. Then the problems began.
The WordPress upgrades on my test sites only had issues on the ones using the new Twenty Twelve theme. The theme is now part of the core WordPress installation and I install through Subversion (svn). The sites were broken until I deleted the Twenty Twelve directory and re-ran the svn update. That wasn’t going to be a problem on this or my other production sites since they didn’t have the Twenty Twelve theme installed.
I saved this site until last, since it’s my biggest one. So naturally, that’s when the problems began. Short version – the SVN update went horribly wrong. It was possibly self-inflicted. I had deleted the old Twenty Ten theme since I never used it. SVN didn’t like that and threw an error. This must have affected the rest of the update. While pages were still being served from the cache, the site was basically down.
I spent some time trying to work around the error but without success. Finally I did a fresh WordPress installation to a temp directory using Subversion. Then I copied those files over the installation for this site, being careful not to overwrite or delete and files I added or changed. After that, and a restart of Apache all seems fine.