OS Quest Trail Log

The OS Quest Trail Log #32: Bits & Pieces

It’s been a couple of weeks since my last post so I figured this is a good time to bring back the trail log. There’s nothing major, just a few odds and ends.

I just started using Evernote and so far I’m really liking it. Evernote is a web based information organizer that also has desktop clients for Windows, OS X, and Windows Mobile. (Other phone clients are listed as coming soon.) I’ve only been using it a couple of days but so far I really like it. The local clients means it can be used offline and all the clients are kept in sync via the web. When I’m on another computer the info is available via the web. I currently use Yojimbo and Evernote doesn’t have quit the same features but it does have a lot of them along with some that Yojimbo doesn’t have.  Evernote is currently in beta (of course) and there’s a free version. A paid premium version adds some bandwidth, additional security and other benefits. I’m still on the free version but I suspect I’ll like it enough to seriously consider the paid version.

I haven’t started using it yet but I finally got on “the twitter“. I figure I better get on before the melt down is complete. I also joined Friendfeed which seems a lot more useful that Twitter alone. To manage the feeds I’ve been using Twhirl. Twhirl is based on Adobe Air so it currently works on Windows and OS X. I’ve been using the OS X version. I’ve been using these for less than a day so I’ll avoid any comments for now.

I’m still working through my DVD library, ripping them to files so I can watch them from anywhere. I’ve ripped about 290 titles and just crossed the terabyte barrier for video files on my Windows Home Server.

Software Updates

Apple released OS X 10.5.4 at the end of June and by now I’ve installed it on all my Macs without any issues.

The other recent big upgrade was Firefox 3. I’d been using Safari on my Macs, with Firefox 2 having too many problems. I’m back to Firefox on my Macs, at least for now. I just made it the default browser.

Ubuntu Server Project

The Ubuntu Server Project has been moving along. I’ve got WordPress installed and running, I just need to write up the article.

That’s it for this installment. Hopefully it won’t be another two weeks before I’m back.