I knew I was liking Windows Home Server (WHS) too much. Microsoft has posted knowledge base article 946676 which describes a potential file corruption issue with WHS. Affected software includes:
- Windows Vista Photo Gallery
- Windows Live Photo Gallery
- Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
- Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Money 2007
- SyncToy 2.0 beta
- Intuit Quicken and QuickBooks may be affected
- Torrent applications may be affected
The cause is a terse:
This issue may occur because of a recently discovered problem with Windows Home Server shared folders and with certain programs.
No work-around is posted, other than don’t use the apps with WHS. Microsoft has been able to reproduce the problem according to a blog post by the Windows Home Server team.
Microsoft has said they’d update the KB article when they have a fix but I would expect a software update to follow.
Update: Ed Bott at ZDNet has additional information on the bug. It’s harder to reproduce than the Microsoft KB lets on and requires the WHS to be under “extreme” load among other things.